Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

A day in 8/15 style...

... doesn't mean nothing to most of you, right?
But if you are a German-speaking person, you can understand for sure the meaning of this idiomatic expression.

'08/15' means for most German speakers 'standard' or, even worse, 'nothing special'.
If you would like to describe a situation, an habit, a result or a product that is standard, a little bit cheap and maybe boring as well, you can use this idiom and almost every person would get your point. 


This is a good example about something very difficult to translate and also difficult to understand, if you manage to know a little German (as a language) but no German at all (as a culture). 

I always find extremely fascinating how much a language and a culture are related and tend to influence each other massively without giving this impression at all. This is one of the reasons because speaking a foreign language with proficiency is challenging and requires a lot of exercise (and the right background).

There is no place for 08/15 performances, if you want to speak a foreign language very well. Instead of seeing a problem in it, I like and accept the challenge. It's part of the game, after all.
And you? Do you have a favourite idiomatic expression?

ps. Despite the title of the post, my day wasn't 08/15 at all.

Further information:
08/15 Redewendung [in German]

Tags: 08/15, Translation, Idiomatic expression, German, Standard