Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Yoga is just a little bit like everyday life, or the importance of staying consistent with what you do

Which kind of yogi are you, in your life?
What's the most challenging life Asana you have been busy with, lately?
If you don't get what I am talking about, you are not alone.

Today I was having an interesting conversation with two colleagues of mine, who made fun of me because I made a comparison between Yoga and everyday life...
Well, let's be more specific here so you can judge for yourself.

What you do has far greater impact than what you say.
Stephen Covey [1932-2012]

A colleague of mine was telling us that he didn't like the teaching style of a certain Yoga teacher because the person was used to say "left" while meaning "right" and vice versa. So my colleague got confused and he was not able to do the postures properly.
In my opinion, most of the time this is not a deal breaker while taking a Yoga class, since it is usually possible to observe the teacher's movements during the class and to mirror them. 

[Doing mirroring with Yoga postures, anyone?
Image credits: Fitness Fan Store]

So I don't always pay attention to what the teacher says. I pay attention to what the teacher does. And then I do the same (or at least I try, since I have been a very bad yogi, so far). 

While reflecting on this matter, I said that in everyday life it is the same, after all.

And there is where my colleagues told me that this was a pearl of wisdom that has changed their lives.

Well, it did change my life indeed. Completely.
Like Tony Robbins says, the quality of my life is strongly related to the quality of the human interactions I allow to take place in my life and to the people I build relationships with.

["Long-term consistency trumps short-term intensity"
Well said, Mr. Lee]

If someone is telling me something but then he/she is doing something different or even just the opposite, I pay attention to what the person is actually doing, not to what the person is saying. If this happens once, no problem. Every person can experience something unexpected, have a bad day, face adversity of any kind at some point, and the like. 

But if the situation is happening again and again and again... Well, I am not going to trust the person that much, even if I am not going to judge them. I am just not going to rely on them. 
Actions count a thousand words to me. And I am all for being consistent, in everyday life.

What about you? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Tags: Yoga, Everyday life, Being consistent

What to read next: