Purple Search - If you are looking for something special on this blog

Me, Myself & I

My photo
As a life coach, I help people make decisions that fit who they truly are and who they want to become
Copyright © Azzurra Camoglio, 2010-2023 - All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Purple Disclaimer

A Lot Like Purple is my personal blog.
I'm the only person responsible for its content and the views and opinions expressed here are solely mines.
What I write doesn't represent my clients or any other group, organization or agency.

If you notice something inaccurate, not valid any longer or inappropriate, I am looking forward to your feedback.
The honesty and politeness of comments are guaranteed.

Monday, April 18, 2016

When willpower is not enough, no matter how you are going to call it... Feat. French fries, the unconscious mind and other stuff

Define and manifest one's goals and life-changing plans is not as immediate as one would love this to be, at least not for everyone and not all the time.

We like to think that it is as easy as pie to know and to say what matters in life, what we want, what we are up to with all our hearts, what we are dreaming about, what we hope for every second of every day.

Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to high sights, the raising of a person’s performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.
Peter Ferdinand Drucker [1909-2005]

And yet, it is not always the case and it is actually very common to realize that we think something, we say something slightly different and then... we either do exactly the opposite or we don't do anything at all.

[Perseverance, constancy, determination, 
persistence, dedication, willpower... 
Call it as you prefer... it's still going to be hard work, darling]

We get worried. We procrastinate. We find excuses. 
We are afraid. We lose our focus. We look for distractions.
We waste our willpower. We criticize ourselves.
We wonder if we are good enough, prepared enough, skilled enough, worth enough.
And so instead of fighting for our dreams, our goals and our ideas... we give up.

We don't do anything because, as long as we don't do anything, we are not going to fail either.

We are not going to make mistakes, we are not going to be wrong. We are not going to show our doubts and weaknesses and for sure we are also not going to come up short.

[Schematic and yet iconic representation 
of the left and right cerebral hemispheres 
and their different characteristics
Image credit: The Huffington Post]

I know for sure that this happened to me last year while struggling with the desire and the fear of starting to blog again after a long silence. I wanted it badly but, for some reason, I was not able to actually do it. 

The most famous psychological theories about the unconscious mind, Edward T. Hall's cultural iceberg model and the newest studies about the brain structures and their functions were nothing exotic to me, and yet I was stuck, unable to act and to follow up on my motivation, my goals and my expectations. 

It was frustrating, above all for someone like me, generally used to realize whatever I've decided to without big problems. I can work out every day, I can learn new languages, I can stick to a gluten-free vegan diet no matter what, and yet...

[And now, ladies and gentlemen...
Let's be stuck between 
Ego, Id, and Superego... anyone?!]

And yet nothing changed for a while and I didn't write a single blog post until I searched for some accountability on the outside. Blogging buddies, accountability partners, friends, nostalgic readers of the blog. You name it.
Having them in my corner, knowing that they were waiting for my next blog post to be published, reading words of appreciation for my articles, inspired me, motivated me and helped me to get back on track and to start writing again.

Choose your own adventure, like they say, and then be very careful about who should be in your corner, because it will make a hell of a difference, in your adventures.

Meanwhile... this one is for David. 
Thank you. I owe you some very tasty French fries.

Tags: Being consistent, Behavior, People, Quotes, Goal setting, Procrastination

What to read next: